Dr. JIJO P M, PhD Principal and Professor of Audiology
I am delighted to welcome you to the JSS Institute of Speech and Hearing, Dharwad. This institute was established in 2014 by JSS Mahavidyapeetha, Mysuru, aiming to provide quality education and clinical services to the people of northern Karnataka.
The institute is recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), New Delhi and affiliated with the Karnatak University, Dharwad. It is also recognized as a rehabilitation centre for Cochlear Implant schemes such as ‘The Scheme of Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP Scheme), Govt of India and Suvarna Arogya Suraksha Trust (SAST) Govt. of Karnataka’.
The institute offers a Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (BASLP) program, the first of its kind in north Karnataka. Our objective is not only to generate quality human resources but also to reach out to the needy population in the region. We conduct public education activities such as camps and orientation programs to create awareness among the general public about speech and hearing.
At JSS Institute of Speech and Hearing, Dharwad, we are committed to providing affordable clinical services and need-based research. The institute is a centre for early identification, assessment and management of communication disorders in northern Karnataka. Our focus is on creating compassionate healthcare professionals who can serve the community.
Area of interest: Diagnostic Audiology, Speech Perception
Dr. JIJO P M, PhD
Principal and Professor of Audiology
Dr. Jijo P M, an accomplished professional in the field of Audiology, has had a remarkable academic and professional journey. He earned his PhD in Audiology from the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysuru, under the guidance of Professor Asha Yathiraj. He also completed his Master’s degree in Audiology from the same institute and B Sc in speech and Hearing from JSS Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysuru.
Currently serving as the Principal and Professor at JSS Institute of Speech and Hearing, Dharwad, Dr. Jijo has extensive experience working in various institutions in India and abroad. He has served as a Clinical Audiologist, Junior Research Fellow, and Lecturer in Audiology, showcasing his versatile expertise in the field.
Dr. Jijo began his career as a clinical audiologist in Nigeria before pursuing his PhD in Audiology in India. He has also worked as a lecturer in Audiology at the prestigious All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysuru, for five years. His contributions to the field are evident through his numerous publications in reputed international and national journals, research projects, presentations on various scientific platforms, and serving as an examiner to various universities. Dr. Jijo is a valuable asset to the field of Audiology and an inspiration to aspiring professionals.
- Jijo P M, Sreeraj K, Sandhya K, Preethi M, Rashmi P. Prevalence and Causes of Communication Disorders – A Retrospective Study from Northern Karnataka. Clinical epidemiology and global health, 2020, 138-141.
- Hemanth N Shetty & Jijo P. Gain Adjustment at Tinnitus Pitch to Manage both Tinnitus and Speech Perception in Noise. Journal of Otology. 2019, 14(4), 141-148.
- Jijo P.M. Behavioural and Electrophysiological Correlates of Aided Performance in Individuals with Late Onset Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder: A Review. Journal of Audiology and Otology. 2018, 22, 171-177.
- Jijo,P.M, & Yathiraj, A. (2017) Performance Intensity Function and Aided Improvement in Individuals with Late Onset Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD). Ear and Hearing 38 (2), 109-117
- Jijo,P.M, & Muhammed Hasheem. (2017) Effect of hearing aid release time and presentation level on speech perception in noise in elderly individuals with hearing loss. European Archives of Otolaryngology 274(2), 671-677
- Jijo,P.M., & Sabarish, A. (2015). Perception of Hearing aid Processed Speech in Individuals with Late Onset Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD). Journal of American Academy of Audiology, 26(10), 815-823.
- Jijo,P.M, & Yathiraj, A. (2013). Audiological Findings and Aided Performance in Individuals with Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD): A Retrospective Study. Journal of Hearing Science, 3, 18-26.
- Jijo, P. M ., & Yathiraj, A. (2013). Effect of Temporal Modification and Vowel Context on Speech Perception in Individuals with Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD). Hearing Balance and Communication, 11, 198-207
- Sindhu & Jijo P M. Translation of Hearing Handicap Inventory (adults and elderly) to Kannada’. Journal of Indian Speech, Language and Hearing Association. 31 (1), 5-22
- Hemanth, N., Jijo P.M., Kumar, A.U. Disability certificate for individuals with hearing impairment. Time to rethink. Indian Journal of Otology. 23(1), 7-12.
- Jijo P M. Prevalence of Children at-risk for developing Communication Disorders in the Urban Primary Schools of Dharwad. Journal of All India Institute of Speech and Hearing. In Press.
- Jijo P M, Aravinda H R, Sabarish A, Harshavardhan. Prevalence and Audiological findings of functional hearing loss: a retrospective study. Journal of Indian Speech, Language and Hearing Association. 35 (2), 33-38
- Jijo P.M, Vipin G & Prawin K. Etiological Factors of Congenital Hearing loss in Children-A High Risk Register Based Survey (2013). Journal of All India Institute of Speech and Hearing. 32, 205-210.
- Jijo, P. M., & Yathiraj, A. (2012). Audiological Characteristics and Duration of the Disorder in Individuals with Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD) – A Retrospective Study. Journal of Indian Speech Language and Hearing Association. 26, 17-26
- Sindhu & Jijo P M. Translation of Hearing Handicap Inventory (adults and elderly) to Kannada (2017). Journal of Indian Speech, Language and Hearing Association. 31 (1), 5-22
- Hemanth, N., Jijo,P.M., Kumar A.U. (2017) Disability certificate for individuals with hearing impairment-time to rethink. Indian Journal of Otology, 23(1), 7-12.
- Hemanth. N, Jijo. P. M and Dr. Vijay Kumar Narne. Is Acceptance Noise Level a deciding factor of tinnitus management using hearing aids? AIISH Research Fund, Completed.
- Jijo P M, Sreeraj K, Sandhya K, Rashmi P. Estimation of Parental Consanguinity in Children with Communication Disorders. AIISH Research Fund. Completed
Masters Dissertations Guided
- Working memory and low redundancy speech perception in the normal ear of individuals with unilateral hearing loss. University of Mysore. 2017
- Psychoacoustic abilities of normal ear of listeners with unilateral hearing loss. University of Mysuru. 2017
- Comparison of hearing aid acclimatization in individuals using Receiver in the canal (RIC) and Behind the ear (BTE) hearing aids. University of Mysore. 2016
- Effect of compression time settings on aided speech perception in elderly individuals with temporal processing deficits. University of Mysore. 2015
- Effect of hearing aid processed speech on perception in individuals with Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD). University of Mysore. 2014